04 May BREATHING LIFE INTO DYING MALLS: A Unique Look into the Changing Suburban Retail Landscape
Upcoming Program from SMPS Atlanta on MAY 12, 2022
KB Advisory Group is pleased to be a part of BREATHING LIFE INTO DYING MALLS, the SMPS Atlanta panel discussion.
KB President Geoff Koski will provide the real estate market consultant’s UNIQUE LOOK INTO THE CHANGING SUBURBAN RETAIL LANDSCAPE.
Breathing Life into Dying Malls: The suburban shopping mall as we know it is gone. Cities, including Atlanta, are trading them for walkable lifestyle destinations. Join SMPS for a unique look into the changing suburban retail landscape, including the importance of placemaking, branding, cultural and community immersion, creating eco-districts, and more.
The program moderator is Monica Fenderson AIA, NCARB, LEED GA, Owner and Senior Architect with MOSA Design Studios, and the panelists are:
1. Ryan Woods, Associate Principal, Commercial Practice Leader, The Beck Group
2. Geoff Koski, Owner, and President, KB Advisory Group
3. Kathi Cook, Director of Economic and Community Development, City of Alpharetta
4. Darren Meyer, Principal, MKSK
5. Vandana Aggarwal, Operations Manager, American Management Services
KB’s firm experience includes planning for transitioning traditional suburban malls and lifestyle centers, large shopping centers like in the North End of Sandy Springs, and projects adjacent to malls.
For example, our work for Gwinnett Place Community Improvement District (GPCID) has helped define economic characteristics and identify development opportunities in the area surrounding Gwinnett Place Mall. As a result, the GPCID economic development toolbox expanded, and the redevelopment of key sites, including Gwinnett Place Mall encouraged. KB‘s GPCID research and work products are as varied as the assignments. Engagements include:
- 2013 Gwinnett LCI 10-Year Update implementation roadmap for the vision to transform the Gwinnett Place Mall area.
- 2015 work to identify, negotiate, and implement catalyst projects around Gwinnett Place Mall.
- 2021 Economic Development Strategy document for GPCID, setting the stage for the County’s purchase of the mall.
- Recent Comprehensive Housing Study for Gwinnett County directly related to 2021 Gwinnett Place Mall Revitalization Strategy.