03 May Catching up with our ULI Etkin Scholar, Part One
Posted at 10:00h in Our People, Uncategorized
A year in review: Atlanta Regional Commission’s 2021 State of the Region
Gabby Oliverio, our graduate intern who will soon complete Georgia Tech’s City and Regional Planning program, began her ULI Etkin Scholars experience at the ARC’s 2021 State of the Region.
Gabby reports it was the last State of the Region address for ARC Executive Director Doug Hooker, who retired on March 31, 2022. Doug led the ARC for 10-years. He encouraged the businesses, organizations, and individuals in attendance to continue working towards a better future for all its residents, echoing the event theme ‘A Region of Possibilities.’
In addition, the event featured the ARC’s 2021 Regional Excellence Awards honoring “innovative projects, places, and planning initiatives.”
Three winners inspire KB Advisory Group:
- The Visionary Planning Award went to the City of East Point and the Food Well Alliance for the East Point City Agriculture Plan, the region’s first citywide agricultural plan
- The City of Clarkston and MicroLife Institute received the Innovative Development Award for The Cottages on Vaughn, a community of “micro-cottages” to help offset housing supply constraints caused by limited land availability.
- The Decatur Housing Authority received an Honorable Mention for the Trinity Walk Revitalization, which preserves and improves existing local affordable housing.
Trends and developments that stood out:
- In 2021, almost one in four residents received some form of food assistance, emphasizing the lingering impacts of the pandemic.
- In 2021, about one in six residents were not or were only slightly confident in their ability to make their following rent or mortgage payment, stressing deeper affordability concerns.
Gabby Oliverio will join KB Advisory Group as a full-time consultant upon graduation.